"What the Blog is This?"

Technology Made Friendly ("TMF") is focused on working with vendors, partners and customers to share and develop industry leading solutions, discussions and ideas that support hospitality & technology.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Is it necessary to seperate Church from State?



I was just having an interesting conversation with Social Media Guru Albert Maruggi about the placement/hosting of a social media platform (environment) within a company website. SoftBrands is in the process of re-launching the www.softbrands.com/hospitality on a new platform (FarCry) for better content management. As I look to launch this site I am asking the question: Does my Social Media platform need to be independent from our website?

Those of you following me know this blog is my first step at educating myself and the business of Social Media and how it can benefit the business. With the re-launch of our new site, I am much closer to officially turning this strategy "On". So I need to decide if the Blog & platform for Social Media should be intergraded or stand alone?

I am very sensitive to keep the social media element "sales free" but the reality is there is always going to be an underlying tone of sales. As much as I do enjoy software technology, I would prefer to spend my time blogging about important things :-)

So I am looking for some feedback, suggestion or thoughts. Is it okay to imbed a social media platform inside a company (business) website? Is better to keep it separated from the business?
Is there a hindrance if the brand extends across both?

The bottom-line for this Social Media strategy is position SoftBrands as a thought leader (which I believe we truly are) in eyes of hoteliers, consultants and partners.

1 comment:

Nikolai Balba said...

Social Media should absolutely be part of the corporate web site, in fact social communications should be embraced on every level of the company, especially product and customer-facing teams.

And there is nothing wrong with being a little sales-oriented (I'd call it being enthusiastic about your product and your company!)